Sunday, October 27, 2013

This is Halloween!

I love this time of year.  It certainly has been a busy few weeks.  In class we have been busy learning about integers and the coordinate plane.

1) One of the first things I did was create a numberline on my floor from -10 to 10 and had various students stand on the numbers I asked questions like:
                      ~ (Name) is standing on -4 how far away from 0 is that?
                      ~ (Name) is standing on -5 (Name) is standing on 6 which is bigger
2) I then had the students graph and plot on a worksheet given in their math program

3) Then we played a game:
This is where I got the idea: Integer War

The game was called Integer War. The black cards were negative numbers, the red cards were positive numbers and then they had to compare them.  This was played like normal war where the person who ends up with the whole deck at the end wins.  My students loved this!  Recording sheet to follow:

You can download the recording sheet free from my Teacherspayteachers account:
After a few days of this we moved into the coordinate plane.
Open letter to fifth grade teachers: thank you for doing a great job on teaching this because I did not have to spend too much time reteaching.  I created a project (final going to be posted by the end of the week).


No comments:

Post a Comment